Message sent from:



Please have a look at our SEN report that aims to answer some of the questions you may have about how your child is supported at Emley First School, by clicking on the link.

Special Needs Offer – School Report

The Kirklees Local Offer

From September 2014 Kirklees Council is required to publish, in one place, information about the services and provisions we expect to be available in our area for children and young people from birth to 25 years of age who have Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability (SEND), together with additional information about services outside of Kirklees which children and young people from our area may wish to use. This approach is known nationally as the ‘Local Offer’ and more information can be found here. Alternatively contact LocalOffer@kirklees.gov.uk.

Kirklees Independent Advice and Support Service for SEN and Disability (KIAS) (previously Kirklees Parent Partnership)

The role of KIAS is to ensure that parents have access to confidential and impartial information, advice and support so they can make informed decisions about their child's special educational needs. This is achieved by working in partnership with parents, providing information, services and training, working with relevant agencies and ensuring parents' views influence local policy and practice. More information can be found here.

PCAN (Parents of Children with Additional Needs)

PCAN are an independent, parent-led forum in Kirklees for all parents and carers of children and young people with additional needs aged from birth to 25 years. They provide lots of good information, links to social media for networking with other parents, and together they provide a strong, collective voice so that they can work in partnership with service providers across Kirklees. Together we can improve services for our children and young people with additional needs. For more information click here.

Links to other agencies

At Emley First School, we have forged some very effective links in our multi-agency approach to working to meet the needs of pupils with special educational needs. We access these through single service referral forms, or through the EHA process (Early Help Assessment (formerly CAF) when parents can decide to consent to a multi-agency approach to their child’s needs/family needs co-ordinated by the key working process.

Some of the agencies we regularly work with are:-


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services - This service can be accessed following referral from a medical professional (G.P./School Nurse). SENCOs can also refer to the service directly. With parental consent, CAMHS. will work with us to support children, recommending strategies for staff to use in school.


ChEWS is the Tier 2 Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service for children and young people in Kirklees. The Service provides short term targeted interventions to children and young people who are aged 5 to 19 and whose emotional needs are impacting on their day to day lives. For further information please click here

Hearing impaired Service/Visually Impaired Service

These services can be called upon to support children in educational settings who have hearing /visual impairments respectively. With consent, schools can refer to the service.

Speech and Language Service (S.A.L.T.)

This service can be called upon to support children with speech, language or communication problems. With consent, schools can refer to the service. Some children are also referred via their GP or a School Nurse.

Educational Psychologists

The school is supported by an educational psychologist, who works very closely with the SENCO. Following consent and referral, the educational psychologist assesses and supports individual pupils with special educational needs by providing parents and school staff with detailed reports and suggestions for actions based on identification of need. The educational psychologist is very important in contributing to statutory assessment/Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans.

Occupational Therapy

This service receives a referral from a health professional or from a SENCO, with parental consent. They explore, assess and guide provision around various physical difficulties. Often a report to school will be followed by sessions with an assistant from the service.

Hit enter to search